This was the forerunner of the P and M. They began with production in 1896 with a quadricycle.
The first motorcycle appeared in 1901, in a format that was to last for over sixty years. The De Dion-type engine replaced the downtube of a heavy-duty bicycle frame and it had all-chain drive, unlike its contemporaries. The usual bicycle chain and pedals retained.
The design was good and so it was offered to firms around the Coventry area, but the only interest was shown by Harry Lawson. Humber then began to make the machines to the P and R design although the origin was not publicized.
Only a few P and R motorcycles were constructed, and most of those were sold locally. In 1903 Harry Rayner was killed in a car accident, so Joah Phelon concentrated on his original business and built a few machines under his own name, until the end of the year.
Joah Phelon then met Richard Moore and formed P & M which later became Panther.
If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us