A Brief History of the Marque
Made in Via Brioschi, Milan, from 1939 to 1941 by Alberico Seiling (who previously worked with MAS engineering the Harlette), the Altea had a unit-construction 198cc four-stroke OHV engine and cantilevered rear suspension.
Alberico Seiling, born in Bavaria, after selling MAS to Anthony Guidetti founded a new motorcycle called Seiling which was soon renamed Moto Altea, between 1938 and 1939. The production included a model with with rear swing arm and central spring under the seat, and another model with rigid frame. There appears to have been a relationship with the Italian importer of Ariel, Max Turkheimer.
Motociclismo magazine in its issue of January 5, 1939, published a very detailed article on the Altea. The article noted the availability of the rigid frame model but focused almost exclusively on the rear suspension model and all the images are of this model, undoubtedly more interesting to readers of the magazine at the time of publication.
The motorcycle in question, with a displacement of 196cc, is still quite well preserved, and apart from the main stand (perhaps not original) is not too shabby, the motor turns freely and it has good spark. The Burman OJ gearbox is fitted with foot-change Velox, but originally the machine had a hand-operated transmission lever mounted on the tank.
If you have a query or information about Altea motorcycles please contact us