OK-Supreme motorcycles were manufactured in Birmingham from 1926 to 1940, the company formed by Ernie Humphries after a partner left the OK OK firm.
The OK Supreme Company of Birmingham was a family concern of
father Ernie Humphries, son John and daughters Freda and Alice.
It was established in 1926 when Humphries and his partner Fred
Dawes split after making O.K. machines from 1911 - Dawes deciding to
focus on bicycles. The Humphries firm designed an attractive range
of sporty machines mostly fitted with JAP
1926 The existing OK range continued with the production of various two-strokes
and four-strokes, fitted with JAP,
Bradshaw or Blackburne
1927 Only JAP engines were used. A machine was placed at the TT, taking third in the
1928 A machine fitted with a modified JAP engine, with a new cylinder head, twin exhaust ports and a down-draught
inlet, won its Lightweight class at the TT. Ernie Humphries bought the failing HRD Motors for the factory and tools, selling the rest,
including the name, to Philip Vincent.
1929 Further racing successes inspired the firm to extend its range, mostly
engines, but some still with Blackburne.
1930 Expansion continued, but it was the older models with JAP
engines that were placed in the TT.
1931 A Lighthouse 25cc to 348cc model, so named because of the little
inspection window in the cam tower, was launched.
The firm began to give all its models names. The best knowm were the Flying
Clouds. All the machines kept pace with changing trends and engines
developed, most from JAP.
1940 Although production had ceased the previous year, OK-Supreme
was still listed until the end of the year. The firm then became involved
with vital war work.
Note: Even though production ceased in 1939, 350cc JAP-engined OK-Supreme grass track racing machines
were still available through John Humphries until his death in 1946. (John was the son of founder Ernie Humphries).