1852 Bradbury & Company Ltd. of Oldham was the first company in Europe
to manufacture sewing machines. Production began in 1852 at The Wellington
Works and by 1887 the firm's annual output was between 26,000 and 30,000
units. They also produced machine tools, bicycles and motorcycles as well
as prams and children's toys.
1874 Bradbury and Co was established on 5 May, to acquire the business
of sewing-machine makers of the firm of the same name, and the business
has since been extended to cycle and tool manufacturing.
By 1890 around 600 factory staff were employed with a further 800 at 60
By 1898 Bradburys had produced it's first motorcycle and, although sewing
machines continued to be the firm's main product, a vigorous and sustained
effort was made to enter the automotive industry after 1900. As well as
motorcycles, a prototype motor car was developed but for some reason it
did not go into production.
In 1903 Bradbury were making large turret lathes.
At the end of 1905, when the company employed around 1,500 workers, a range
of motorcycles was available.
By 1914 Bradburys were reducing their reliance on the sewing machine market
through diversification and had achieved some success in the motor industry.
The firm was experienced in mass production techniques and was probably
set to realise the fruits of previous years development of motorcycles
and quite possibly cars as well.
WWI During the war Bradbury & Company Ltd. supplied motorcycles and
bicycles to the British forces. They probably also supplied machine tools
to munitions factories and in all likelihood produced munitions themselves.
After the war the company reintroduced it's range of sewing machines and
other products but by the end of 1923 they experiencing financial problems
and it is believed that all production ceased around this time.
1924 Bradbury ceased all production in 1924, at the lowest point of the
post-war slump. In the sewing machine market they were in competition with
the Jones Co of Audenshaw as well as the Scottish subsidiary of the American
1929 Eventually, Bradbury & Co. Ltd. was officially dissolved in May
They produced motorcycles from 1901 to 1924 and introduced one of the earliest
forms of variable gearing, using manually adjustable pulleys.
1901 The firm started out by hanging a Minerva
engine from the down tube of a standard bicycle.
1902 Late that year they produced machines built to the Birch
design. This had the crankcase cast around two of the main frame tubes.
In other respects they were similar to the new Werner
design and were fairly primitive. The principal model, listed as the Peerless,
had a 2.5 hp engine. A lightweight was also listed and this had a Clement-Gerrard
engine inclined above the frame down tube. It drove a counter-shaft which
was mounted ahead of the bottom bracket, it then went to the rear wheel
and both drives were by chain. Other than that it was no more than a heavy-duty
1903-1908 The model continued with a few modifications and the crankcase
cast to the frame. Various power outputs were available as well as a tandem
backseat frame. This was a pillion seat with handlebars. There was also
a forecar with a 4hp water-cooled engine and chain drive.
1909 Still of the same construction, but now with sprung forks, the firm
standardized on a 3.5hp model - followed by transmission models.
1910 Cycle and Motorcycle Exhibition
Bradbury and Co., Ltd.
Wellington Works, Oldham. Stand No. 81.
The Bradbury motor-bicycle is introduced in two forms for 1911 namely,
the roadster and the light roadster or Tourist Trophy, the latter weighing some 301bs. less than the former. The excellent feature of
using a steel crank case and making it an essential part of the frame is retained. The fitting of a cross tube below the tank is thus avoided
and there is good clearance both above and below the engine. The Brown and Barlow carburetter and Bosch magneto occupy the usual positions and
the former is handlebar control. Inverted levers under the handlebar operate the exhaust lifter and the front wheel brake. A low position is
secured for the saddle by providing a lug behind the upper part of the .diagonal tube to receive the saddle pillar. The front fork is provided
with links and springs on the parallel ruler principle. Transmission is by belt and variable pulley. The tank is held in place by cast steel
clips and is fitted with a petrol filter. The rear brake is operated by a pedal mounted independently of the foot-rests, which are provided with
rubber pads. The tool bag is furnished with an improved set of tools and is securely supported at the back of the carrier and sufficiently below
it to give a clear platform. The roadster models are specially adapted to stand sidecar work, the lighter pattern is without pedalling gear.
These excellent machines are not sold to the public direct, but to retailers only.
1912 Variable gearing was introduced.
1913 Late that year 3.5hp flat-twin model appeared. This had its magneto
mounted on top of the crankcase, a three-speed chain-driven gearbox, the
choice of chain or belt final-drive and drum rear-brake.
1914 A 6hp V-twin model was added. This had a three-speed gearbox, all-chain
drive and drum rear-brake.
1915 The models continued and the single was rated at 4hp.
1916 The V-twin and the single, with various transmission options, were
available that year. Throughout World War I those models remained in production
for service use.
1919 After the war, that line still continued with the addition of a 2.75hp,
two-speed single with chain-cum-belt drive.
1920 Just three models were available, as the 4hp single was dropped.
1922 The smallest model had transmission options.
1923 That model was now only available with three speeds and chain drive.
1924 They were now down to just two models, both of which had been redesigned
and enlarged. Early that year the firm failed and production came to a
close. The stock was sold on to an ex-employee who, for some years, sold
spares and built machines from those parts.