Douglas produced motorcycles between 1907 and 1957 and were located
in Kingswood, Bristol.
In 1882, the Douglas brothers, William and Edward, founded the Douglas
Engineering Company, first as a blacksmith's shop, but soon expanded
to become an iron founders making quality castings, and later supplied
parts to Joseph Barter, of Light
Motors, for his Fairy
engine. After the turn of the century and the advent of the motor vehicle
they soon became involved in the development of engines.
1885 Company founded.
1907 The first model was introduced at the Stanley Show. Mounted high in
the frame, it had a 2.75hp flat-twin engine with braced forks and direct-belt
drive. They also exhibited a compact V4 engine, but only two or three of
these were made as the design was too advanced for the times.
1909-1912 New frame design brought changes. A two-speed gearbox became
available and a ladies' model was produced. Douglas began supplying
with 8hp flat-twin engines for their machines. They also had their first
success at the TT, with a win in the Junior class.
1910 Stanley Show Douglas Bros. Bristol. Stand No. 89. The twin-cylinder Douglas will be the centre of attraction on this stand. It is a machine with a very high reputation, and has performed with great credit to itself in many of the most strenuous competitions which have been held in this country, and is one of a specification which has many features of outstanding merit. The engine is a 24 twin-cylinder with 60 mm. bore and 60 mm. stroke; the cylinders are bolted on, and are easily detachable; the pistons have lubricating lips, and are each fitted with three rings. No gudgeon pin set-screws are used, the gudgeon pin being driven in tight, and capped at both ends with copper. Very wide bearings of phosphor bronze are fitted; the crank shaft is of mild steel, case-hardened. The induction valves are automatic, the exhaust valves being mechanical and adjustable. Ignition is by Bosch magneto, and control is entirely from the handle-bar. Druid spring forks of registered design are fitted, and the frame is built of butted steel tubes, very low, with a long wheel base, and possessing detachable and adjustable footrests. The pulley is made adjustable for -wear, having one loose and one fixed flange. These can be brought closer together by substituting a narrower distance sleeve. The total weight of this machine is about 100 lbs. Its finish is of the very highest quality, and altogether is a bicycle which is bound to be even more popular in 1911 than in the 1910 season.
1913-1917 For a list of the models and prices of cars see the 1917 Red
1913-1917 For a list of the models and prices of motorcycles see the 1917
World War I. Several models were used by the forces and approximately 25,000
of these reliable machines went for service use. After the end of the war
surplus bikes flooded the civilian market until around 1920.
1920 The W20 model, with its 2 cylinder, 348cc sv engine, was equipped
with clutch, kick starter and three-speed gear. It has a quite a few accessories,
such as handlebar mounted watch, speedometer, full Lucas
acetylene lighting, leather knee pads, protective shield under crankcase,
holder for spare spark plugs and round leather case for spare tube or belt.
1920s During the decade, Douglas had a Royal Warrant for supplying
motorcycles to Prince Albert (late King George VI) and Prince Henry. Even
King George V acquired a Douglas machine in this period.
1921 The 3.5hp model was dropped and pivot-forked rear suspension made
a brief appearance. This was followed by the introduction of two models
with ohv engines.
1923-1925 The firm did well in the TT and proved that their motorcycles
were good performers in many classes. During this period Cyril
Pullin became Chief Designer for Douglas.
1926 An 'all-new model' was launched as the EW
- designed to appeal to those who demanded performance without a high price
1927 By now there were five versions of the EW,
and although a serious fire damaged the works, Douglas saw success
in Australian dirt-track racing, as the low-slung design was well suited
to the terrain.
1928 Cyril Pullin
left the firm, to be replace by Freddie
Dixon, who produced a racing TT model. It was later joined by a dirt-track
model designed specifically for speedway.
1931 The firm had become a public company and it was sold by the family.
1932 New models were added, but the firm was soon in financial difficulty.
1934 They produced a 494cc shaft-drive model called the Endeavour.
Douglas, by now quite elderly, bought back the faltering business and
produced a smaller range until the end of the decade.
1935 They were in financial trouble and were taken over by BAC.
1935 Public company named as Aero Engines Ltd.
1939-1945 During the war, Douglas made other products.
1946 Name changed.
1947-1950 Douglas launched various new models. In 1948, Douglas
was again in economic distress and forced to rationalize its line to a
series based on a 350cc flat twin.
1951 A 500cc prototype was shown, but never made. An agreement was made
for the company to build the Italian Vespa
scooter under licence.
1955 The last model made was the advanced and novel 350cc Dragonfly.
Distinctive looks and good handling could not hide the low top speed (75mph,
although a sports model claimed 84mph) and poor low-rev performance.
1956 The firm was taken over by Westinghouse Brake and Signal Co.
1957 The Vespa was still imported,
but the end of the Douglas was close.
1961 Light engineers and metal founders, specialising in the manufacture
of Vespa Motor Scooters, Road Brakes and Signal and Colliery Equipment.
Note: For many years afterwards, still trading under the Douglas
name, the company imported Gilera mopeds and lightweight motorcycles.