Featured Pages Tilly Shilling, Engineer She Made the Merlins Sing
Manx 30MKrieger-Gnadig First German Shaft Drive Motorcycles
KG (EN & ES)Humber WC HO Twins Advanced Machines of Edwardian Era
Made the Tyler Orchestral Grand, a theatre organ which included piano, reed organ, bells, zither and harp.
The company began by offering their lightweight motorcycles with a choice
of Precision two-stroke
or four-stroke engines, both in a form of unit construction with their
two-seed gearbox. Under this name they had limited sales but were far more
successful as described below.
Metro-Tyler were motorcycles produced from 1919 to 1924, by the
Tyler Apparatus Co of London, who took over the Birmingham firm of Metro
Manufacturing Co, after the end of World War I.
1919 Post-war construction began with the continuation of the 269cc two-stroke
with either single-speed belt drive or two-speed chain-cum-belt.
1920 There was just a two-speed model that had been completely redesigned.
They used their own two-speed gearing and enclosed primary transmission
in a welded frame.
1921 A three-speed version was added and that model remained, with various
gearbox options, including Albion,
for the next few years.
1922 Two four-stroke models with Blackburne
sv engines were added to the range. One was a 348cc single and the other
a 698cc V-twin.
1923 A new miniature was added. This was the 147cc two-stroke called the
Black Baby. It had single or two-speed belt drive and all-weather finish.
There was also an all-chain version of the 348cc Blackburne together with a similar size ohv machine, and the V-twin ran on as before.
1923 was to be the peak year.
For 1923, the company offered a number of variants including a fully enclosed
model and a sports version with a two speed gearbox, kickstart and clutch
which at 34 guineas was proclaimed in the catalogue as being "the cheapest
and lightest 2 1/2hp Motor Cycle at present on the market".
1924 Only the 269cc two-stroke and a new 247cc Villiers
model were listed - both had Albion two-speed gearboxes and chain-cum-belt drive. After that, the name disappeared.