Martinsyde was a British aircraft manufacturer. Motorcycles were
also produced from 1919 to 1923.
The company was formed in 1908 as a partnership between H. P. Martin
and George Handasyde and known as Martin and Handasyde. In 1912
they renamed the company Martinsyde Ltd. It went into liquidation
During its existence the company, based in Woking and Brooklands, produced
subcontracted aircraft and its own designs.
Martinsyde-Newman motorcycles were produced by Martin and Handasyde
from 1919 to 1923.
1919 After the end of the Great War, and having been major aircraft producers
for those years, Martin and Handasyde decided to diversify by turning
to motorcycle manufacture. They had plenty of room for production and a
reputation for good quality, so decided to manufacture the bulk of components
in-house, including V-twin engines with unusual exhaust-over-inlet (EOI) valve layout. The first
machines were badged as Martinsyde-Newman, as the engine had been
designed by H. C. Newman (of the Ivy marque). The
677cc V-twins rapidly gained a good reputation for reliability through
extensive trials work. The gearbox, made under licence from AJS,
was a standard three-speed unit. Sidecar
outfits were available, including one suitable for commercial use.
1920 A 498cc model with similar engine layout followed.
1921 Trading difficulties caused large-scale lay-offs at the works.
1922 A sports version of the 498cc appeared along with a 738cc sports model
(developed by H. H. Bowen) named the Quick Six.
1923 Various experiments were conducted with valve gear controlled by leaf
springs and a vertical single model of 346cc was revealed at the Olympia Show in November 1922. It had an overhead exhaust valve (EOI), Amac carburetor, chain drive and a 3 speed gearbox. Front brake was of the expanding type, with the rear using a dummy belt rim. Following a disastrous fire at the works, towards the end
of the year the business failed.
Note: Stock parts and the rights to manufacture were acquired by
the BAT Motor Co. During 1924 the twins continued under the trading name of
but ceased in 1925.
Two-seater trainer monoplane. Powered by 65 hp Antoinette
G100 and G102 "Elephant"
Fighter / Bomber. Single seater biplane powered by
120 hp Beardmore
for the G100 and the 160 hp Beardmore
for the G102. 270 produced.
Two-seat low wing trainer. Powered by 130 hp Gypsy
Fighter. The Martinsyde F4 Buzzard was developed
as a powerful and fast biplane fighter for the Royal Air Force, but the
end of the WW1 led to the abandonment of large-scale production. 333 aircraft
were eventually produced, with many exported. Of particular note was the
Buzzard's high speed, being one of the very fastest aircraft developed
during WWI. Powered by a Hispano-Suiza engine
Development of Hawk Trainer. 1,300 aircraft built.
Two-seater low-wing monoplane advanced trainer. Powered
by 715 hp Rolls-Royce Kestrel XXX engines
Low-wing monoplane with enclosed cabin. Powered by
200 hp Gypsy Six engine. 45 aircraft built.
Two / three-seater training and communication. Similar
WW1 Subcontract production BE.2c and SE.5A.
Martinsyde F.3 - private venture design with the Rolls-Royce Falcon engine.
A number of surplus Buzzard airframe were later built up with a
new engine, the radial Armstrong Siddeley Jaguar, by the Aircraft Disposal
Company and sold as the "Martinsyde ADC.1" in 1924. A development of the
F.4 was also made by the ADC, two "ADC Nimbus" produced as prototypes.
1920 At the International Aero Exhibition at Olympia much attention was
given to the 'Semi-quaver', a single-seater driven by a 300 hp Hispano-Suiza
engine having recently set a British record by flying at 161.4 mph. They
also showed a four-seater 'A' type.
If you have a query about this page, or have some information to add, please contact us