Holroyd were motorcycles produced from 1922 to 1924* by John Spear Holroyd, of Holroyd Motors, 6, Warwick Street, Regent Street, London, W.l. .
Holroyd had been a successful competition rider before World War I. He was, for a time, associated with the Motosacoche marque and also rode Blackburne, Massey-Arran and Edmund machines and opened a retail motorcycle business in the London area.
1924 Only a 346cc sv JAP model was listed. It had a three-speed Burman gearbox, all-chain drive, internal expanding brakes and a leather toolbox mounted above the fuel tank. Although this machine was an ideal sporting middleweight, sales were limited as Holroyd did not have the necessary networking to achieve national success.
A Sporting Lightweight.
Well-known Track-man Introduces a Solo Mount to Bear his Name.
FEW vendors of motor bicycles have had wider riding experience than Mr. J. S. Holroyd, and to appeal to the young sporting rider he has placed a fast lightweight on the market bearing his own name. The motive power is a 250 c.c. J.A.P. engine fitted with an aluminium piston. Chain-cum-belt drive has been adopted, and the gear box is the new two-speed Burman, which incorporates a clutch.
The lines of the machine are symmetrical, and it is equipped with such well-known fittings as Druid forks, the new pattern Amac carburetter, a Webb front brake, and a rear brake acting on the exterior of the belt rim groove. Flat steel stays are employed in the attachment of the rear mudguard, and as the machine is intended chiefly for speed work, no luggage carrier is provided. The belt rim has been drilled for lightness, the rear hub is wide and substantial, and a full size touring saddle also forms part of the equipment. The machine is equipped with 26 x 2¼ Hutchinson tyres and weighs 178 lb.
As far as possible, weight has been kept low, the crank case being below the line of the hubs, and a racy appearance is given by the long exhaust pipe with its enlarged streamlined expansion chamber. The Holroyd motor bicycle is made by Holroyd Motors, 6, Warwick Street, Regent Street, London, W.l.
The MotorCycle, December 1921
A SIMPLE BELT FASTENER.
Designed by a well-known competition rider, J. S. Holroyd, of Holroyd Motors, 6, Warwick Street, Regent Street, London, W.l, this simple belt fastener consists of only three main parts, incidentally providing a very short gap between the two ends of the belt.
If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us