Carfield of Windmill Lane, Smethwick
1919 The first machines were built using the 269cc Villiers two-stroke engine with simple cycle parts, and with transmission by either direct belt or a chain-driven Albion two-speed gearbox with belt final-drive. Druid forks were used and the fittings were typical of the era.
1922 The twin had gone, but the other capacities continued.
1923 A 247cc Villiers replaced the old 269cc engine. Late that year a 147cc Villiers engine was adopted for their most famous model - the Carfield Baby - which performed far better than expected. One of these was ridden in the 1923 Scottish Six Days Trial, achieving a bronze medal and further enhancing the firm's reputation.
1925 The firm went over entirely to Villiers, with several versions of the Baby having 172cc and 247cc engines.
1926 Two of the larger capacity models were produced that year along with a new 292cc sv JAP-engined machine that was also in two versions - both with all-chain drive and three speeds.
1927 Carfield's final machine was powered by a J.A.P. 2-stroke AZA engine; only a few of these machines were built, and the company ceased trading in 1928.
A "Baby" has been on display at the Black Country Living Museum, Dudley. It is believed that only 8 Carfield machines survive.
Sources: Grace's Guide
If you have further information or a query related to Carfield please contact us