Featured Pages Tilly Shilling, Engineer She Made the Merlins Sing
Manx 30MKrieger-Gnadig First German Shaft Drive Motorcycles
KG (EN & ES)Humber WC HO Twins Advanced Machines of Edwardian Era
Bond Cars Ltd of Ribbleton Lane, Preston was a car and motorcycle
1949 The marque was created in Preston by Sharps Commercials. The machines
were designed and produced by Lawrence Bond, who started out making three-wheeled
1961 Listed as Sharp's Commercials Ltd. Employed 300 persons.
1971 The company was taken over by the Reliant
Motor Co Ltd of Tamworth, Staffs in 1971.
Bond were motorcycles built from 1950 to 1953 and from 1958 to 1962.
1950 An odd-looking three-wheeled motorcycle appeared. It had an all-alloy
frame, from which a sheet had been rolled into a large tube with the engine
suspended. Most of each wheel was enclosed by an enormous mudgard. It had
a two-speed, 99cc Villiers1F
engine, no suspension as such, 4-inch tyres and 16-inch wheels with split
rims. During that year, telescopic forks appeared.
1951 A machine with a 125cc two-stroke JAP
engine was launched, but supply problems hampered production. During that
year Bond went on to design the BAC and manufacture went over to
1953 Production of the original machine ceased.
1955 Late that year Bond reappeared as a two-wheeler. This was the Sherpa
scooter fitted with a 99cc Villiers 1F
engine under glass-fibre bodywork. The style was typical of the period,
and although it went on show at Earls Court, it never progressed past the
single prototype stage.
1956-1957 The name continued on three-wheelers and the firm moved to Preston
1959 The company returned to making two-wheelers and produced a scooter
that was typical in style, if a little heavy. Powered by a 148cc Villiers 31C
engine, it had three speeds and a Siba
electric start. It was then joined by another model with a 197cc Villiers 9E
and four speeds.
1960 Both those models were revised in style and ran on for two more years.
1962 After this year no more motorcycles were produced.