Ambassador of Ascot were motorcycles were produced from 1946 to
1946 The company was founded by an ex-Brooklands driver named Kaye Don.
1947 The first production model arrived. It was a simple, lightweight machine
with a 197cc Villiers5E
engine, three-speed gearbox, rigid loop frame and blade girder forks. This
design was fairly basic.
1949 The Series 3Ambassador appeared and the engine was
changed to an improved and more modern 6E version.
1950 Another version appeared, this time with Embassy telesescopic forks.
The Popular 197cc appeared, as did the Series 5Ambassador,
with cantilever tele-forks (earlier models had Webb
forks, later models conventional teledraulic).
1952 Saw the arrival of the Supreme with plunger rear suspension.
1953 The Self Starter was added to the range. It had a Lucas
starter motor tucked under the front of the tank, with belt drive to the
engine. There was also the Sidecar model. That year the whole rang
changed to the 8E engine.
1954 The Supreme had a new plunger-frame and a 224cc Villiers
single-cylinder engine with a four-speed gearbox.
1955-1961 Various modifications and changes were made to the range, including
some replacements. The Supreme acquired a twin-cylinder 250cc engine
1962 For a short while a scooter with a 50cc Villiers
engine appeared. Kaye Don
retired that year and the company was bought by DMW