Featured Pages Wallach & Blenkiron Darkest Effrika
A Road Less TraveledRudge 1939 250cc Rapid The "250" with the "350" performance
Rudge RapidFongri Motorcycles Tazio Nuvolari's First Racer
Armstrong were motorcycles produced from 1981 to 1987.
Having once been interested in Triumph with unsuccessful results, this large engineering firm took over CCM in 1980.
1981 CCM was briefed to produce a road racer which was shown as the CM35 and fitted with a 247cc water-cooled two-stroke Rotax engine unit and a six-speed Austrian gear-box. The frame had rising-rate rear suspension, Marzocchi front forks and Brembo disc brakes. Immediately successful, it had a TT win and grand prix placings.
1982 A 347cc version was added in the same format and the off-road CCM models became badged as ArmstrongCCM. By the middle of the year, Rotax engines were employed.
1983 Machines were being supplied to Can-Am for the American market, with badges to suit.
1985 The company won a contract to supply the British Army with large numbers of trail machines. These were built to military specifications and fitted with a de-tuned version of the big four-valve Rotax single. After that, the road racing twins had little success.
1987 Harley-Davidson bought the military machine operation and the rest of the business was sold back to the founder of CCM, Alan Clews.