A Brief History of the Marque
Tragatsch devotes almost half a page to this German-Swiss marque.
Early models had 250 & 350 JAP engines, soon switching to MAG of 350cc up to 998cc. In 1930 they introduced 198cc & 248cc ohv singles of their own manufacture. Forks licenced from Brough were used from 1929, and during the late 1930s they built small cars and a single cylinder 200cc 2-stroke motorcycle named 'Feuergeist' (Fire Dragon, or Fire Spirit).
The factory was owned by Wilhelm Gutbrod, who also owned another Swiss factory, Zehnder. Although their machines were among the best available between the wars, in the post-war era, after the death of Gutbrod, their motorcycles did not fare well.
Wilhelm's son Walter became an automobile manufacturer, producing mostly commercial vehicles along with a small number of sports cars under the Gutbrod name. The venture failed in the late 1950s.
Standard Fahrzeugfabrik GmbH in Ludwigsburg was founded by Wilhelm Gutbrod in 1926.
In 1933 the company moved to Stuttgart-Feuerbach and in 1937 to Plochingen am Neckar.
The firm had a factory in Saarland Bübingen which built agricultural equipment before the war. Postwar, motorcycles were constructed due to restriction on the manufacture of such machines in Germany but because Saarland was under French military administration production was allowed. Over 200 motorcycles were built, the majority going to the police force.
There was also a Standard marque in Germany from 1922 to 1924 which built small two strokes, and another Scandinavian marque which rebadged Testi mopeds and motorcycles.
Sources: Tragatsch, saar-nostalgie.de
If you have a query or inforemation about Standard motorcycles please contact us