emu
Dutch Motorcycles

Motorcycles Built in the Netherlands

Notes on some of the rarer Dutch marques

This page lists brands of which little historical information is currently available. For a more complete listing visit the Netherlands Index.

ABSAF
ABSAF builds classic racing engines and components using modern materials and tooling. Riders using their enhancements have achieved considerable success throughout Europe, the UK and the United States.
Products include:


    replica BSA Gold Star engines
    replica Matchless G80CS/G85CS engines
    spare parts (from crankshafts, cylinders, cams to oilpumps and magnetos)
    Featherbed-style frames

Condor Club Netherlands, absaf.nl


A.G.S.
1964-1968 or 1970
A.G.S. took its name from the initials of Jan de Groot and Akkerman. They built motocrossers of 50cc and 125cc using engines from Casal, Puch, Sachs and Zündapp.
Condor Club Netherlands


Altena
1902~1904
In April 1904, Andon Altena participated in the Paris-Bordeaux-Paris, and in August of that year he completed the English 1000-mile reliability ride, a "Six Day Trial". Effectively he won, finishing first most days, but due to penalties did not feature in the finals.
Sources: Conam Netherlands


Arley, and Vidson
Groningen, 1948
One of the more forgettable creations in motorcycling history, it is best remembered for the fact that the tank stickers were created by dividing in half and then removing some of the letters from Harley-Davidson decals.
The motorcycles were actually made in Soviet-occupied Hungary and imported by Germann, who, realising (too late) what an absolute dud the machines were, passed remaining stock to this firm.
Condor Club Netherlands


Bambino
Rotterdam. Microcars, 3 wheelers
Sources: Conam Netherlands


Berg
Gebr. Van der Berg, Oudeschoot (near Heerenveen) ;
Microcars, three wheels, JLO engine
Sources: Conam Netherlands


Bingham see Eenhoorn


BMI
1934 - 1937, Bilthoven
Built by Beyermans, the first machine was a bicycle auxiliary engine, followed by 80cc and 175cc motorcycles.
Sources: Conam Netherlands


Burgers
1906-1952, and possibly later.
Primarily a bicycle firm, they built motorcycles in 1906 and electric motor-bicycles in the early 1930s. They also produced a moped in the early 50s which did not succeed in the marketplace.
Sources: Conam Netherlands, burgers-enr.net


Dopper
The Dopper was a one-off built by Jan Dopper in 1903 or 04 and powered by a Brons diesel.
Condor Club Netherlands


Duc Bock
Ducati rider Ge van Bockel, Dutch 125cc Champion, imported and rebadged an number of Italian lightweights which sold in the Netherlands and Belgium under the Duc Bok brand in the late 1950s.
Condor Club Netherlands


Eenhoorn
Built by Bingham & co, Rotterdam. who also built the Autolette.
Sources: Conam Netherlands


Electrotax
Built three-wheel taxis. A version was also available for private individuals under the brand name 'International'.
Sources: Conam Netherlands


Empo
Founded by Emsbroek and Poesse in 1913
Empofabriek 1913-1979
In the mid-1950s they produced the Empo-Carley using a Carley bicycle attachment engine, and also built mopeds with TWN 47cc engines.
In the early 1960s began marketing mopeds. which were re-badged Cyrus machines.
Condor Club Netherlands


Fama
Constructed by W. Gerth & Zn of Utrecht who traded from 1890 to 1956, their first motorcycles appeared around 1936 fitted with Villiers and Sachs engines of less than 100cc. The company was perhaps better known for its bicycles.
The company also imported Zundapp machines, marketted as Zundapp-Fama 1938-1940. The name Fama is derived from the Roman goddess of fame.
Sources: Conam Netherlands


Fongers
Fongers of Groningen was a pioneer of bicycle manufacturing, commencing in 1884. They built a V-twin motorcycle in 1909.
In 1961 the firm was acquired by the Leeuwarder company who manufactured Phoenix, and in 1963, Meppeler (Germaan) became part of the almalgamation, renamed to PFG. This firm was purchased by Batavus in 1970.
Fongers is best remembered for its excellent posters, and the bicycles are very popular with collectors.
Condor Club Netherlands


Gebr. Baas
Wildervankster Rijwielen Fabriek, Wildervank, near Groningen
A bicycle manufacturer, they were one of the first Dutch companies to build a motorcycle, in 1903. It was single-speed belt-drive, which bicycle pedals and chain. The engine was embossed with the company name.
Source: mlagerwerf.wordpress.com


Germaan
1935-1966
Built by NV Rijwielindustrie F. & J.v.Werven of Meppel
Production began in 1935 of motorcycles and motorised bicycles using Villiers, JLO and Sachs two-stroke engines of 49cc to 248cc.
In 1949 a model with a Csepel engine appeared, sold as the Germaan Olympia. It was, apparently, something of a disaster and sullied the company's reputation for some time to come. Some of these were sold to a Groningen firm and rebadged as Arley and Vidson.
Motorcycle production ceased around 1955, with moped production continuing to ca 1966. The brand was acquired by Batavus in 1970.
Germaan


Hinde
Hinde was founded by G.L. van Gink in 1888
Their automobiles were built in 1899 using 2hp de Dion engines. After a long hiatus, 98cc and 118 cc two-strokes were produced in the latter half of the 1930s.
Condor Club Netherlands


Hoen
3-wheeler microcars, 1950s
Sources: Conam Netherlands


Hoenson
Hoenson Rijwiel Factory B.V.
Keizersgracht 296 Amsterdam
Built motorcycles with 200cc and 250 cc JLO two-stroke engines, and mopeds in the 1950 sold under the Ranger brand. There was also a model fitted with a Myster engine sold as the Velonzo Bromzo most likely by Velonzo-fietsenfabriek of Amsterdam. Hoenson also imported the Italian Gioiello.
Condor Club Netherlands


Homoet
Built by Chris Homoet from 1972 he built 50, 80 and 125 cc motocross machines using Kreidler and probably other engines.
More information at www.kreidlerdatabase.nl
Condor Club Netherlands


Jansen
1898-1901
Motortricycle 1898 at 's-Hertogenbosch (Den Bosch) with de Dion-Bouton engine.
Sources: Conam Netherlands


Janson
A rebadged Goliath three-wheeler from W.A. Janssens & Zn, Rotterdam. They also sold identical machines under the original Goliath name.
Sources: Conam Netherlands


Jonker Logo

Jonker
Built by Jan Jonker (related to HMW) in the mid-1950s. Two models were produced, both with JLO engines: a 200cc Condor single and a 250cc twin. Th4e frames were by Helmond and the fuel tanks were made in Germany.
Condor Club Netherlands


Kaptein Logo

Kaptein
1949-1973
Founded by Willem Kaptein who imported Motobécane and other brands from 1938. Post-war, most of the components were produced in-house, and he built 125cc and 175cc machines with SV and OHV engines. Production of those machines ceased in 1951, whereupon they once more imported Motobécane. They are credited with developing the immensely succesful Mobylette. These they produced in a new factory until 1965, and marketed as Kaptein. From then until c1973 all of their mopeds were imported from France and rebadged.
Condor Club Netherlands


Kestein
1935-1936
In the 1930s Kestein produced transport motorcycles, and also sold British motorcycles under the Kestein banner.
Condor Club Netherlands


Kuipers
3-wheel microcars 1950s
Sources: Conam Netherlands


Lely
P. vd Lely, The Hague
The firm built automobiles in 1900. Later they built a variety of three-wheel transports and at least one moped with front carrier. Invalid three-wheelers were also a speciality, and these were built as early as 1936 up until at least 1955.
Sources: Conam Netherlands


Otten
1902, Otten's motor, Breda
Some 12 of these machines were built by the brothers Otten including one Ladies model ridden their sister who "made Breda unsafe", possibly because the motorcycles could reputedly achieve 80-90 km/h and she was a leadfoot.
Sources: Conam Netherlands


Paturi Panhard
Sleek three-wheel sports cars built in Breda during the mid-1950s
Sources: Conam Netherlands


Shelter
3-wheel Microcars
1950s, and possibly as late as 2016
Sources: Conam Netherlands


Story
3-wheelers built in the 40s
Sources: Conam Netherlands


Success
Built from 1904 to 1914 when the firm was acquired by Ackman, but the Success brand was still advertised in 1916.
Sources: Conam Netherlands


Vribron
Constructed in Dokkum
3-wheel microcars, 1950s.
Sources: Conam Netherlands


Vulcaan
Vulkaan Motorrijwielfabriek, Gebr. Fonck, Hofstraat 6 te Venray (1911-1916).
Sources: Conam Netherlands


Wilhelmina
Built by Hugo Smit of
Prinsengracht 282, Amsterdam.
Sources: Conam Netherlands



If you have a query or information about these Belgian motorcycles please contact us

City Coast Motorcycles
City Coast Motorcycles

Triumph, BMW, & Kawasaki Sales Spares & Repairs.
Established for over 40 years and run by expert motorcyclists.
Fully authorised workshop.