Morbidelli 125 GP 1975
Chassis No: MBA12
Giancarlo Morbidelli was born in 1938 building up a successful woodworking machinery business in Pesaro during the 1960's. This provided the means for him to indulge in his passion for motorcycle racing and ultimately to build his own competition machines and witness them winning World Championships.
His first machine, built in 1968, was a 50cc racer that secured the marques first world championship points. 1970 saw the unveiling Morbidelli's first 125cc racer. Ultimately the team would win World Championships in the 50, 125, 250 and 350 classes, four of which were manufacturer awards and five riders championships.
The teams success in the World Championships led to a demand for replica machines which resulted in Morbidelli entering into an agreement with Bennelli Armi to manufacture replicas at a new factory in Pesaro. The "production" water cooled disc valve machines generated slightly less horsepower than the factory bikes and can be identified by the absence of the Ferrari mark, present on the works bikes, crankcases.
This delightful blue and white example of a late "twin shock" machine was restored to original specification at the Morbidelli Museum Workshop during 2006 using many new parts. It is described as being in "as new" condition throughout following the restoration.
Courtesy by H&H Classic Auctions