Although sidecars have inherent advantages over a solo thanks to the stability afforded by the third wheel, their layout dictates a certain style of riding that can be hard for solo riders to adapt to. George Brough was aware of this and during the early thirties started experimenting with a "banking outfit", which in theory could be ridden in the same manner as a solo. The first example was based on the design employed by Freddie Dixon and his Douglas during the 1923 TT. The sidecars ability to bank was controlled by a set of levers operated by the passenger. Although this had proved successful to a degree on the track where the passenger knew the layout it did not translate well to the road. George Brough, having completed a number of miles on a machine so equipped with Ted Lester in the chair concluded that the sidecar would have to be controlled by the rider. The result was the "Helix Sidecar" designed by Bruce Alvey. The banking mechanism was now controlled by a foot pedal operated by the rider. Unlike its predecessor it could only bank to the left, the depression of the pedal "unlocking" the mechanism which was controlled by a helix formed in the back wheel that controlled the machines return to the upright position when the locking mechanism re-engaged.
Displayed at the 1933 Olympia Show the new chair created a great deal of interest but after testing was abandoned before its acquisition by Titch Allen who restored it and fitted it to his 11/50 Brough Superior. The complete sidecar, including the single seat launch type body is offered today ready to fit to a suitable machine such as the 11/50 offered here.
Image and description kindly supplied by H&H Classic Auctions