Rover was a British manufacturer of bicycles, motorcycles and
cars which produced motorcycles in 1899, from 1903 to 1906 and from
1910 to 1927.
1899 Having started in the cycle industry, the company first experimented
with power and exhibited a machine at the Richmond Show. They built a tricar
in bath-chair form, with twin rear wheels and the driver and De
Dion engine fitted between them. At the front was a single small wheel
and a seat for the passenger.
1901 'Imperial Rover' motorcycles were produced.
1903 After a gap of a few years a well-designed machine appeared. This
had a single 2.25hp engine with a mechanical inlet valve and spray carburettor.
The frame had two down-tubes, to increase rigidity, and braced forks.
1904 The engine increased to 3hp and there was also a 4hp forecar with
the option of a water-cooled engine. It had two-stage chain transmission
and included a clutch.
1905 The frame changed to a single downtube and a 2.5hp lightweight was
added. The forecar remained on the list, with wheel steering as an option.
1906 The range continued for the year, but then the firm turned its attention
to full-scale cars for a while.
1908-1909 Their involvement with the trade continued with the supply of
complete cycle parts to the British branch of MAG
for the Motosacoche Motor Unit.
1910 They returned late that year with a model designed by John
E. Greenwood. It had a rear-mounted Bosch
magneto, B and B carburettor,
belt drive from an adjustable pulley and Druid
1910 Stanley Show Report The Rover Co., Ltd. Coventry. At this stand the Rover Company, who were among the earliest to manufacture a successful motor-bicycle, will be showing a now model. It is a 3 1/2 H.P. with Rover engine of 85 bore by 88 mm. stroke. The inlet valves are mechanical, the transmission is by 4in. belt, on two gears, the high ratio being 44 to 1 and the low 64 to 1. Spring front forks are fitted, while the diameter of both wheels (which have 24 Dunlop tyres) is 26in. The height of the saddle from the ground is 32in., and clearance is 4in. The machine has a wheelbase of 56in., and a weight of about 1801bs. Pedalling gear stand and carrier are provided, and a Triumph free engine clutch, made under license from the Triumph Co., is included in the price of £55 net.
1912 Spennell's lists them at Garfield Rd, Coventry (Tel. 518) and as manufacturers
World War I. They kept going throughout the war by supplying private owners
(until 1916) and the military. Motorcycles, lorries and Sunbeam-designed car were produced for armies both in
Britain and in Russia. They made minor changes including the option of
1917 They added a 654cc JAP
V-twin model for service use and that, together with the single, comprised
the post-war range.
1921 All except a 'TT' model now had chain drive.
1923 The twin was dropped and a neat lightweight with a 249cc engine appeared.
It had ohv and looked very modern as the three-speed gearbox was a unit
enclosed by the crankcase. That model alone continued for the year 1924.
1925-1926 The lightweight was replaced by a 345cc version which ran on
for a few years.
1927 Was the last year of Rover motorcycle production.