emu
British Motorcycles

Gamages: Motorcycles

See also Gamages.

A. W. Gamage of Holborn, London, sold motorcycles, produced from 1903 to 1923, from their famous store.

    1903 Having already been in the market by selling machines built by various factories, including Omega and Radco, the store had a model with their own name on it. It was fitted with a 2 h.p. engine mounted vertically towards the rear, with the bicycle pedals ahead of the crankcase, which had the seat tube bolted to the top of it. It also had belt drive and rigid forks. That year saw several competition successes.

    1904 The engine was moved forward to fit into a loop frame fitted with braced forks. A forecar fitted with a 3.5 h.p. Hubbard engine was also added.

    The firm then moved on to selling German machines and a 2.5 h.p. Arno model with their own transfer.

    1911 A model appeared with the Gamage name on it, fitted with a White and Poppe engine, Brown and Barlow carburettor, Bosch magneto, BSA frame, three-speed rear hub and Druid forks.

    1913 Only one model was listed. This had a 2.75 h.p. engine with single-speed or three-speed hub, belt drive and Druid forks.

    1914-1915 For those two years the single model was sold from stock.

    1919 Post World War I only two-strokes were listed, fitted with a 269cc engine, Burman two-speed gearbox, chain-cum belt transmission and push-start.

    1921 The push-start model was joined by a kick-start version and a single-speed belt-drive model.

    1922 Those three models were enlarged to 348cc and joined by a four-stroke of the same capacity.

    1923 The kick-start machine now had three speeds and all-chain drive. It was to be the firm's last year of motorcycles as they turned their attention to their many other products.

Sources Grace's Guide



If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us

Anderson Stands
Anderson Stands
Motorcycle Stands and Workshop Lifts for Sports Bikes and Cruisers
Front and rear stands, single side swingarm stands, workbenches...