Erlich Motor Co
Erlich Motor Company of Park Royal, London
EMC were motorcycles produced from 1939 to 1953 and from 1983 to
1990. The company was owned by Dr. Josef Erlich, an Austrian from Vienna
1939 Having arrived in the UK in 1937, Joe Erlich was, by now, testing
a machine that was fitted with his 240cc twin-piston, split single, two-stroke
1947 After World War II he built a 345cc machine with Dowty
Oleomatic front forks and a rigid frame.
1951 Erlich built a road racing model fitted with a 125cc Austrian Puch
1952 A model was built with a 125cc JAP
two-stroke. This was exhibited at Earls Court.
1953 The company was wound up and Erlich moved on to new fields, but remained
involved with racing for many years.
1982 After a long gap, Erlich became involved with the Waddon
Engineering project and soon had the machine on form.
1983 The machine became an EMC, with Rotax
tandem-twin, two-stroke engine unit. It won the Junior 250cc TT that year.
1984 and 1987. Both years saw further TT successes.
The make gradually slipped from favour as Honda and Yamaha
motorcycles moved ahead.
If you have a query about about this page, or have some information to add, please contact us