Chell Motor Company of Moorfield Road, Wolverhampton.
Chell were motorcycles produced from 1938 to 1939. Production only
lasted for a few months. The company first announced a pair of lightweights
In April 1939, details of the Chell Lightweight appeared in the
'Motor Cycle and Cycle Trader' magazine. The machine, which sold for £25.10s.,
had a loop frame and was fitted with a 125c.c., or a 98c.c., two stroke
Villiers engine, and had twin exhaust pipes, which terminated in tubular
There were pressed-steel front forks and a two gallon petrol tank. The
machine had an 18watt electric light and was complete with air cleaner
on the carburettor, a horn, number plates, central stand, licence holder,
tyre inflator, a toolbox complete with tools, and Dunlop
tyres. A Smith's lightweight speedometer
could be fitted to the machine for an extra 35 shillings.
Both engines fitted into a loop frame with pressed steel forks. The brakes
were four-inch drums and ignition and lights were provided by flywheel
magneto. It had petroil lubrication and rear suspension was an option.
The onset of the second war brought production to a close.