They produced the Brown motorcycles from 1902 to 1915.
1888 Company established.
1897 The company was registered on 28 May, to take over the business of
the firm of the same name, general hardware, cycle accessories, general
1902 Having been component suppliers to the trade, the brothers produced
their first motorcycle. Using typically primitive frames, direct-belt drive
and braced forks, they mounted 2hp, 2.75hp and 3.5hp Minerva
engines vertically. Following on from these came a 5hp V-twin.
1908 There was now an option of a two-speed gearbox and all-chain drive,
but the braced forks were still unsprung.
1910 Druid forks were adopted and
the range was widened to include a selection of powers, in either single
or V-twin, and transmission systems.
1910 Cycle and Motorcycle Exhibition
Brown Bros., Ltd.
Gt. Eastern Street, London. Stands No. 173-177.
The Brown motor-bicycle for 1911 has an engine of slightly larger bore
and stroke than its predecessor of 1910, the dimensions being now 86
nun. by 86 mm., instead of 85 mm. square. A very excellent feature is
the provision of adjustments to the valve tappets. The crankshaft
rotates in ball bearings. The magneto is located in front of the
crankcase, over the exhaust silencer, and the handlebar controlled
carburetter is close up to the back of the cylinder. The top tube meets
the bottom one at the head, the upper part of the socket being
strengthened by a web. This brings the top down to 29ins. from the
ground, about as low as it is possible to get it without bends. The
drive includes a rubber belt and variable pulley. The front fork is of
the double row type, and the upper end is linked to the top and bottom
of the head, which is suspended by other links from a collar bearing on a
central main spiral spring, and surmounted by a buffer spring. The lamp
bracket is specially strong, and is incorporated with the handlebar
lug. The T.T. Brown is a good deal lighter than the full roadster, and
is sent out without pedalling gear, but either a rigid or a spring fork
can be had, to meet the rider's wishes. Messrs. Brown Bros. are open to
appoint agents here they have no representatives and terms will be
supplied on application.
1914 Wholesale Cycle and Motor Material Manufacturers and Merchants. Specialities:
motor cycle parts and accessories, cycle fittings and accessories, tools
for motors etc. Employees 350.
Note: After World War I, the motorcycles were sold as the Vindec,
but there was no association with the Vindec
Special (VS) VS
This company was a supplier of parts and fittings and in the early years
the Vindec name was not advertised or used very much.
1914 Late in the year the name appeared on a 225cc two-stroke model with
a two-speed gearbox and chain-cum-belt transmission. They also listed a
4hp V-twin, with an overhead inlet valve, Bosch
magneto, and various transmission options.
1915 They were now using either their own or Precision
engines only. Production of Brown motorcycles ceased.
1916 The two-stroke was still listed and the twin had a 6hp JAP
engine driving a three-speed Sturmey-Archer
Post-war. A 225cc two-stroke single was listed.
1919 March. Adverts for Electric self-starters and Berdea carburettors.
Issued catalogue on motorcycle accessories.
1920 A 976cc sv JAP
V-twin was added.
1922 Those models carried on into that year.
1923 The two-stroke was replaced by a 292cc sv JAP
model finished in art grey.
It is probable that most Vindec machines were bought-in designs
from established manufacturers, finished and badged under the Vindec
name. Some models of that period strongly resembled Rex-Acme machines.
1924 The big twin went and a 170cc two-stroke joined the JAP
single for one season.
1925 The twin returned for that year only, along with the 292cc sv model.
1926 The 292cc sv model was enlarged to 300cc, and another lightweight
two-stroke of 147cc was added for one season.
1927-1929 It was the 300cc sv JAP
machine that carried them through to their final year of 1929.
1937 Aircraft fittings.
1939 Aircraft Industry Suppliers
1963 Motor Show exhibitor. Accessories and components; Garage equipment.
Of Eastern Street, London.