Featured Pages Tilly Shilling, Engineer She Made the Merlins Sing
Manx 30MKrieger-Gnadig First German Shaft Drive Motorcycles
KG (EN & ES)Humber WC HO Twins Advanced Machines of Edwardian Era
Beau Ideal Cycle Co
Beau Ideal Cycle Company of Frederick Street, Heath Town, Wolverhampton
Beau-Ideal were motorcycles produced from 1904 to 1907.
1890 Charles Richards started the company in about 1890, and was very successful. The showrooms were at Gresham Chambers in Lichfield Street.
1896 The company, Richards' Beau Ideal Cycle Co, was registered on 20 July, to take over the business of Charles Richards and Co.
In 1904, at the Stanley Show, he exhibited three motorcycles, which were powered by 3.5h.p. German Fafnir engines. All of the models were single speed, fixed gear machines and had all of the rider's controls on the right-hand side of the handlebars. Only a few were made, and the company decided to concentrate on bicycle manufacture.
Typical of the era, they were primitive and short-lived.