On the Liberty two-stroke engine fitted to the Jupp and the Reynolds runabout, the magneto is driven by an extension of the crankshaft.
A Brief History of the Marque Manufactured: Pre-WWI to mid-1920s
The 269cc Liberty two-stroke engine was designed and manufactured by A. W. Wall Limited of Tyseley, Birmingham, with the gearbox linked to the engine in a steel-plate cradle to form a unit.
Ariel 1904 The Ariel firm offered the Liberty cycle attachment as a form of
transport. This involved attaching a bicycle to the side of a motorcycle to form a quadricycle.
Components were the primary source of parts for the engines.
Coulson & New Coulson The original company folded in 1921, after which it was acquired by A. W. Wall who apparently continued producing the Coulson models including the Liberty two-stroke model. In 1923 the marque moved to H. R. Backhouse of Tyseley, who continued the 269cc Liberty model, along with Blackburne machines.
CoulsonCoventry-Star Motorcycles built circa 1919 to 1921 fitted with 269cc Villiers and Liberty engines.
Coventry StarHockley In 1914 the company announced their new motorcycle, intended for colonial use, powered by a 269cc Liberty
It had a special form of lubrication where the oil and petrol were kept separate, the former being distributed via a drip-feed lubricator into a plated brass well clipped to the down-tube on the Hockley. In this well was placed a ball-valve, which automatically regulated the supply of oil to the engine speed, the engine sucking the ball down according to its speed, while it remains up when the engine is stationary, so completely stopping the flow of oil. From this well the oil is distributed to the engine by three pipes; one leading to the cylinder and the other two to either side of the crank-case, where they feed directly on to the main bearings. The engine otherwise conforms to ordinary two-stroke practice. It is of 2.75 h.p., bore and stroke 70 x 70 mm., and the radiating fins continue to the bottom of the cylinder. Two exhaust pipes are provided, which emerge into a well-made cast aluminium silencer.
HockleyHoward and Johnson Built a lightweight with a 269cc two-stroke Wall engine
Howard-and-JohnsonJupp For 1922 the Villiers engine was replaced by a 269cc two-stroke Liberty
JuppNew Star Co No details
Reynolds The Reynolds Runabout was a scooter produced from 1919 to 1924 powered by a Liberty engine. The scooter was built by the Jackson Car Manufacturing Co and later by A. W. Wall.
Wizard Produced between 1921 and 1922, the motorcycle had a 269cc Liberty two-stroke engine.