Founded in 1834, Ducommun was based in Mulhouse which was at the time an independent French state surrounded by German-controlled Alsace. The location of the factory was "between le Faubourg de Colmar et la place Franklin" and is about 1.5km from the Cité de l'Automobile.
On July 6, 1899 the company filed a patent in Switzerland for a machine which closely resembled the much later Velosolex.
In 1900 they produced a bicycle engine which was affixed to the front wheel with transmission by very long belt to the rear wheel.
The Mulhouse company was founded in 1834 rue de la Loi and specialized in the construction of machines for engraving rolls used in the printing of fabrics. In 1853 the company moved to the buildings located between the Faubourg de Colmar et la place Franklin. In 1875, they were the first to use electric lighting. They also manufactured dynamos.
The Manurhin scooter was also manufactured in Mulhouse.